While temperatures are dropping, energy rates are rising. Though you may not be able to control the weather outside, there are some things you can do inside your home to insulate against the harsh outside temperatures and reduce your energy bills.
One of the best ways to insulate your home is using plantation shutters, the most energy efficient window treatments. Factor in the significant discount for DIY measure & install, and you truly maximize your savings!
Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Energy Bills
There are steps all the members of your household can take to bring down energy costs with minimal effort.
Only turn your heating on when necessary. When you are getting ready to step out of the house, lower the thermostat temperature or switch it off if you will be out for an extended period of time.
Use a lower temperature setting while at home and bundle up by wearing an extra layer if necessary – model those cozy sweaters!
When the heat is running, be sure your windows and doors are closed to help your heating unit run more efficiently and for less time.
- Turn off / unplug appliances when they are not in use.
- Use lower temperature settings on your washer and dryer whenever possible.
- Use lower wattage, energy-saving light bulbs, and don’t forget to turn off the lights whenever you leave a room.
Home Improvements to Reduce Energy Bills
There are a few quick and easy home improvements that can be done on a budget by the most novice DIY beginner:
- Weather stripping – this is an inexpensive and easy addition to close off gaps around windows and doors
- Caulking in cracks or gaps – smaller thin cracks around your windows, walls and outlets can still affect the regulation of the internal temperature in your home
- Insulation boards – another inexpensive option to create a barrier to the outdoor elements
- Thick, heavy-duty, solid window treatments – plantation shutters provide insulation to help regulate indoor temperatures. They are more affordable and easier to install than you may think - this is where we come in!
Insulated Interior Window Shutters
Plantation shutters are the thickest and most solid window treatments. Besides looking elegant as a stunning design feature in your home, they are extremely practical as well. They are more energy-efficient than blinds, curtains or shades.
Our Natural Hardwood and Premium Hardwood shutters are 100% solid hardwood. Our Aluminum Core Faux Wood Shutters
are made from a solid polyvinyl with aluminum core for added strength. All of these will provide a great barrier against outdoor temperatures, helping you maintain the interior temperature. This in turn means you will use less heating in the winter (and less cooling in the summer).
With flexibility to partly or fully rotate the slats open and closed while keeping the panels closed, you can still have insulation and privacy while letting in some sunlight to warm up the room during the sunnier times of day.
Because they are custom-made to fit your precise window measurements to the nearest 1/16th of an inch, they snugly fit, preventing drafts. Any gaps due to variance in your window opening can be sealed with caulk for an even tighter insulation.
Full Height or Full Solid Raised Panel shutters will provide the most insulation. With the ability to customize your style, slat size, color, framing, and more, you will surely be able to design a dream shutter to compliment your home’s décor.
Doing your own measure and installation saves you about 40% by cutting out the middleman and allows you full creative control over your shutter design.
Work with our shutter experts for advice on measuring, designing, or installation help. We offer a free design consultation for every order, and are available through phone, online chat, or email to help ensure your project is a success from start to finish!
Contact Us >>